Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy Birthday To The Eagle Globe and Anchor!

Today is, you got it, the Marine Corps birthday.  It was on November 10, 1775 at Tuns Tavern that the Marine Corps was founded.  The fact that I know this should tell you a little something about me -- and if you understand the Marine Corps esprit de corps, Semper Fidelis, you know some of my core values.  I enlisted before I was eighteen and yes, my mom signed for me.  She did so on one condition, that I would delay my enlistment until after Christmas.  I acquiesced and on January 1968 I entered the United States Marine Corps.  That made me a mid-Tet replacement in June of 1968 in Vietnam.  I am a tanker and in August of 1969 I left my tank in pretty much the same condition that I found it.  In 1970 I mustered out and I can say with agreat deal of pride, it is my great privilege to be known as a United States Marine.

Here is the first of two things I wish to share on this special day:



Close order drill seems so innocuous until one discovers the big WHY!

Next, is the following:




And finally, I offer this to those who really know me:  "The Marine Corps is the "Men's Department" of the
United States Navy. (;-}

Happy Birthday!

OHHHRAH!

1 comment:

JCF said...

With fond memories of my favorite (crazy!) uncle, Carroll Earl Beauchamp Peeke Jr, USMC (who carried a little bit of Okinawa w/ him---physically, in his body, not to mention on his soul---from 1944 to 1995). RIP, Carroll.

With the holidays coming, I share w/ you his seasonal greeting: "Have a Cool Yule and a Frantic First!"